mademeals is a young-energy, early-stage food startup based out of Hudson County, NJ, (with our commissary kitchen in Hunterdon County, NJ). Our business aims to be a competitor in the evolving food space by offering delicious, healthy, ready-to-eat meals through our unique means of service, delivery and community involvement.
Through our passion for food, health, and wellness, and our strong connections in the startup/tech space in NYC, mademeals aims to utilize leading customer and user experience strategies to engage and retain our customers.
We have been in beta for roughly 5 months and are looking towards our official launch in mid-2017. We are looking to bring on a Sous Chef to work with our Executive Chef and help lead a small culinary team.
We are a lean team of about 5, (currently made up of our Founder, Executive Chef, 2-person Media Team, Designer, and part-time kitchen staff). The team will grow organically where needs and gaps are identified. As Sous Chef, you will be tasked with the opportunity to lead a small kitchen team.
What You’ll Do
As Sous Chef, you will work closely with the Executive Chef on food ordering/sourcing, execution of predefined menu and kitchen production. An emphasis on relevant experience, self motivation, accountability, integrity and high quality food production and safety standards is an essential function of the Sous Chef.
- Execute production according to recipe guidelines
- Work with Executive Chef to source food weekly and seasonally for menu
- Prepare menu items in a sanitary and timely manner
- Work in fast-paced, young-energy environment that requires standing and bending for hours at a time
- Lead a lean team of kitchen workers
- Ability to use our software to print recipes and scale up or down. (Docs/Sheets/general proficiency with computer software)
- Follow recipes, portion controls, cooling requirements and presentation specifications.
- Clean and maintain production equipment while practicing exceptional safety, sanitation, and organization skills
- Assist with overall kitchen organization, including walk-in coolers and all dry storage areas
- Work alongside packaging team to ensure quality packaging and presentation
- Ensure that production remains HACCP compliant
- Will have the opportunity to design chef specials throughout cycle menu, which will be approved by executive team
- Hourly rate to start, with a path to salaried position once we’re scaled up
- Good work-life balance, (set shifts, no unexpected hours)
- 15-35 hours per week to start, growing into a full-time position
- Production will be out of our commissary kitchen facility in Ringoes, NJ, (Hunterdon County). Proximity to our kitchen space should be considered.
- Production will be between Thursday and Sunday, with most shifts being in the evening through late night. Flexibility is required. (In late spring, shifts will be overnight).
What You Should Bring To The Table
- At least 4 years of progressive high volume food production experience
- Experience leading a kitchen team
- A flexible schedule that will require evenings/nights and overnight shifts
- Serv-Safe Managers Certification (or within 60 days of obtaining certification)
- Proven ability to execute food production to meet time, quality, and volume standards
- Interest in leading a small staff and positively influencing employee behavior
- Strong desire to improve culinary skills and knowledge of evolving food trends
- A desire to be part of a growing business that is riding the wave of food-tech and food industry transformation
- Alignment with mademeals’ core values of healthy/natural lifestyle, local/organic farming, sustainability and cutting edge customer experience
- A strong sense of teamwork
- Ability to receive constructive input and adapt to ever-changing environment as we scale up
- All candidates must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
Why Join Us?
- Flexible hours that will be in a Thursday-Sunday cycle. (Orders are placed in advance, which allows for a more regimented schedule)
- mademeals is an early-stage startup embarking on an exciting journey in a growing market. This is an opportunity to be part of something fun.
- We're a team of very well-connected, natural hustlers. Our mission is to offer premier product and service, and compete in an active market.