Hunterdon County, NJ
Reports to: Executive Chef
Status: Part-time to full-time
mademeals is a young-energy, early-stage food startup based out of Hudson County, NJ, (with our commercial kitchen in Hunterdon County, NJ). Our service helps busy folks eat healthy, farm-to-fork meals that are ready to heat-and-eat when they don't have time to cook. We are launching in parts of Manhattan and Hudson County, NJ in Fall '17.
As a small business, we are committed to supporting local farmers and using non-GMO ingredients grown without pesticides or chemicals. We also use grass-fed/free-range meats raised without antibiotics and wild-caught seafood, and support better living conditions for farm animals.
Our weekly production is currently based on a 4-day cycle, (Thursday-Sunday), and our shifts are all during the evening/overnight, (summer shifts usually start at 10pm and can end between 2am-7am). At this time, we are producing close to 100 meals per week, and we expect to be producing 250+ meals per week by August, as we gradually scale up and move towards launch.
We are currently a lean team of about 5, (Founder, Executive Chef, 2-person media/photo team, and part-time kitchen staff). As Sous Chef, you will be tasked with the opportunity to lead a small kitchen team.
With our leadership having experience in both recruitment & high volume kitchen operations; culture, team and efficiency are of utmost importance to us.
As Sous Chef, you will work closely with the Executive Chef on food ordering/sourcing, execution of predefined menu and kitchen production. Our summer and early/mid fall hours are Thursday through Sunday, starting at 10pm and ending between 2am-7am. An emphasis on relevant experience and a passion/interest for high quality ingredients and sustainable food systems is crucial to success in this role.
- Execute production according to recipe guidelines
- Work with Executive Chef to source food weekly and seasonally for menu
- Prepare menu items in a sanitary and timely manner
- Work in fast-paced, young-energy environment that requires standing and bending for hours at a time
- Lead a lean team of kitchen workers
- Ability to use our software to print recipes and scale up or down. (Docs/Sheets/general proficiency with computer software)
- Follow recipes, portion controls, cooling requirements and presentation specifications.
- Clean and maintain production equipment while practicing exceptional safety, sanitation, and organization skills
- Assist with overall kitchen organization, including walk-in coolers and all dry storage areas
- Work alongside packaging team to ensure quality packaging and presentation
- Ensure that production remains HACCP compliant
- You will have the opportunity to design chef specials throughout cycle menu, which will be approved by executive team
- Hourly rate to start, with a path to salaried position once we’re scaled up
- Good work-life balance, (set shifts, no unexpected hours)
- 15-35 hours per week to start, growing into a full-time position
- Production will be out of our commissary kitchen facility in Ringoes, NJ, (Hunterdon County). Proximity to our kitchen space should be considered.
- Production will be between Thursday and Sunday, with most shifts in summer through early/mid fall starting at 10pm and going through 2am-7am. Flexibility is required.
What You Should Bring To The Table
- At least 4 years of progressive high volume food production experience
- Experience leading a kitchen team
- An understanding and alignment with mademeals' core values in healthy eating, local/organic food, and sustainability
- A flexible schedule that allows for evening/night hours, (summer shifts begin at 10pm, and end between 2am-7am)
- Serv-Safe Managers Certification, (or within 60 days of obtaining certification)
- Proven ability to execute food production to meet time, quality, and volume standards
- Interest in leading a small team and positively influencing employee behavior
- Strong desire to improve culinary skills and knowledge of evolving food trends
- A desire to be part of a growing business that is riding the wave of food-tech and food industry transformation
- Ability to receive constructive input and adapt to ever-changing environment as we scale up
- All candidates must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
Why Join Us?
- Customer orders are placed in advance, and we work Thursday through Sunday every week. This allows for a more structured schedule, and days off.
- We are an early-stage startup embarking on an exciting journey in a growing market. This is an opportunity to be part of something fun.
- We're a team of well-connected hustlers, with a mission to help people eat healthy, delicious food. Our mission is to offer premier product and service, and compete in a rapidly transforming market.
- We're cool. :)