Hunterdon County, NJ
Reports to: Executive Chef, Sous Chef & Founder
Status: Part-time to full-time
mademeals is a young-energy, early-stage food startup based out of Hudson County, NJ, (with our commissary kitchen in Hunterdon County, NJ). Our business aims to be a competitor in the evolving food space by offering delicious, healthy, ready-to-eat meals through our unique means of service, delivery and community involvement.
Our weekly production is currently based on a 4-day cycle, (Thursday-Sunday), and our shifts are all during the evening/overnight. At this time, we are producing close to 100 meals per week, and we expect to be producing 1,000+ meals per week within the next year as we gradually scale up. (We’ll be relocating when the time is right).
Through our passion for food, health, and wellness, and our strong connections in the startup/tech space in NYC, mademeals aims to utilize leading customer and user experience strategies to engage and retain our customers.
We have been in beta for roughly 5 months and are looking towards our official launch in mid-2017. We are looking to bring on a Kitchen Assistant to work with our Sous Chef, Executive Chef and Founder on our lean culinary team.
We are a lean team of about 5, (currently made up of our Founder, Executive Chef, 2-person Media Team, Designer, and part-time kitchen staff). The team will grow organically where needs and gaps are identified. As Kitchen Assistant, you will have the opportunity to work with leadership and kitchen team to learn and grow skill set.
With our leadership having extensive experience in recruitment & high volume kitchen operations; culture, team and efficiency are of utmost importance to us.
What You’ll Do
As Kitchen Assistant, you will work closely with the Sous Chef and Executive Chef on weekly meal production prep. An emphasis on relevant experience, self motivation, accountability, integrity and high quality food production and safety standards is an essential function of the Kitchen Assistant.
- Work alongside Sous Chef and Executive Chef during food prep
- Utilize scales and portioning tools for both raw and cooked product
- Assist Sous Chef with cooking when required
- Clean counters, floors as well and working areas. Work areas will be cleaned before end of shift
- Assist dishwashers in washing dishes, bowls, sheet pans, pots, etc. used in meal preparation
- Assist in packaging, plating and boxing
- Other cleaning responsibilities as assigned
- Part-time hourly rate to start, with a path to full-time salaried position once we’re scaled up. This will give you and our team a chance to see whether there is a fit and an interest in growing with us.
- Good work-life balance, (set shifts, no unexpected hours)
- 15-30 hours per week to start, growing into a full-time position
- Production will be out of our commissary kitchen facility in Ringoes, NJ, (Hunterdon County). Proximity to our kitchen space should be considered.
- Production will be between Thursday and Sunday, with most shifts being in the evening/overnight. Flexibility is required.
- What You Should Bring To The Table
- At least 2 years of progressive high volume food production experience
- Experience working with a kitchen team
- A flexible schedule that will require evenings/nights and overnight shifts
- Serv-Safe Managers Certification (or within 60 days of obtaining certification)
- Proven ability to execute food production to meet time, quality, and volume standards
- Strong desire to improve culinary skills and knowledge of evolving food trends
- A desire to be part of a growing business that is riding the wave of food-tech and food industry transformation
- Alignment with mademeals’ core values of healthy/natural lifestyle, local/organic farming, sustainability and cutting edge customer experience
- A strong sense of teamwork
- Ability to receive constructive input and adapt to ever-changing environment as we scale up
- All candidates must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
Why Join Us?
- We work in a Thursday-Sunday cycle. (Orders are placed in advance, which allows for a more regimented schedule)
- mademeals is an early-stage startup embarking on an exciting journey in a growing market. This is an opportunity to be part of something fun.
- We're a team of well-connected, natural hustlers. Our mission is to offer premier product and service, and compete in a changing market.