Hunterdon County, NJ
Reports to: Executive Chef, Sous Chef & Founder
Status: Part-time to full-time
mademeals is a young-energy, early-stage food startup based out of Hudson County, NJ, (with our commercial kitchen in Hunterdon County, NJ). Our service helps busy folks eat healthy, farm-to-fork meals that are ready to heat-and-eat when they don't have time to cook. We are launching in parts of Manhattan and Hudson County, NJ in Fall '17.
As a small business, we are committed to supporting local farmers and using non-GMO ingredients grown without pesticides or chemicals. We also use grass-fed/free-range meats raised without antibiotics and wild-caught seafood, and support better living conditions for farm animals.
Our weekly production is currently based on a 4-day cycle, (Thursday-Sunday), and our shifts are all during the evening/overnight, (summer shifts usually start at 10pm and can end between 2am-7am). At this time, we are producing close to 100 meals per week, and we expect to be producing 250+ meals per week by August, as we gradually scale up and move towards launch.
We are currently a lean team of about 5, (Founder, Executive Chef, 2-person media/photo team, and part-time kitchen staff). As a Kitchen Assistant, you will have the opportunity to work with our leadership and kitchen team to learn and grow your skill set, and work towards a potential Sous Chef position down the road.
With our leadership having experience in both recruitment & high volume kitchen operations; culture, team and efficiency are of utmost importance to us.
As Kitchen Assistant, you will work closely with the Sous Chef and Executive Chef on weekly meal production. Our hours during the summer and early/mid fall will be Thursday through Sunday, starting at 10pm and ending between 2am-7am. An emphasis on relevant experience and a passion for high quality ingredients and sustainable food systems is key to success in this role.
- Work alongside Sous Chef and Executive Chef during food prep
- Utilize scales and portioning tools for both raw and cooked product
- Assist Sous Chef with cooking when required
- Clean counters, floors as well and working areas. Work areas will be cleaned before end of shift
- Assist dishwashers in washing dishes, bowls, sheet pans, pots, etc. used in meal preparation
- Assist in packaging, plating and boxing
- Other cleaning responsibilities as assigned
- Part-time hourly rate to start, with a path to full-time salaried position once we’re scaled up. This will give you and our team a chance to see whether there is a fit and an interest in growing with us.
- Good work-life balance, (set shifts, no unexpected hours)
- 15-30 hours per week to start, growing into a full-time position
- Production will be out of our commissary kitchen facility in Ringoes, NJ, (Hunterdon County). Proximity to our kitchen space should be considered.
- Production will be between Thursday and Sunday, with most shifts in summer through early/mid fall starting at 10pm and going through 2am-7am. Flexibility is required.
What You Should Bring To The Table:
- At least 2 years of progressive high volume food production experience
- A desire to be part of a growing business that is riding the wave of food-tech and food industry transformation
- Experience working with a kitchen team
- A flexible schedule that will require evenings/nights and overnight shifts
- Serv-Safe Certification (or within 60 days of obtaining certification)
- Alignment with mademeals’ core values of healthy/natural lifestyle, local/organic farming, sustainability and cutting edge customer experience
- Proven ability to execute food production to meet time, quality, and volume standards
- Strong desire to improve culinary skills and knowledge of evolving food trends
- Ability to receive constructive input and adapt to ever-changing environment as we scale up
- All candidates must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
Why Join Us?
- Customer orders are placed in advance, and we work Thursday through Sunday every week. This allows for a more structured schedule, and days off.
- We are an early-stage startup embarking on an exciting journey in a growing market. This is an opportunity to be part of something fun.
- We're a team of well-connected hustlers, with a mission to help people eat healthy, delicious food. Our mission is to offer premier product and service, and compete in a rapidly transforming market.
- We're cool. :)